This scholars Program will give Upcoming young leaders around the world who are already making a difference in their communities the chance to take their work to the next level through a newly designed curriculum that brings together academic, skills-based, and hands-on learning. The Scholars Program empowers individuals with a proven commitment to service with the tools they need to make their efforts more effective, to identify innovative solutions to complex global problems, and promote change through values-based leadership.
The program will build lasting relationships among emerging leaders who are committed to working together to solve the most pressing challenges of our time, creating a global network that reaches across issues and borders. After completing the program, Obama Foundation Scholars will return to their communities and continue the important work they started in the program by implementing their own personalized action plan. They will also have an opportunity to play a role in the Obama Foundation’s efforts to inspire, train, and connect rising leaders from around the globe.
Obama Foundation Scholars Program Benefits.
- Obama Foundation Scholars at the University of Chicago will earn a Master of Arts degree focused on International Development and Policy at the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy.
- In addition to classroom studies, the Obama Foundation will offer a robust program of leadership development and service activities throughout the academic year to help Scholars gain the real-world skills, tools, and experiences to expand the impact of their work when they return home.
- These may include leadership development convenings; program experiences in New York and Washington, DC; speaker series with innovators across a variety of sectors; individual and group service projects; mentorship through the Obama Foundation network; potential internship placements; and action plan development for post-program activities.
- Some of these Foundation activities will include experiences throughout Chicago and the South Side. By engaging with the local community, students will have the opportunity to complement what they learn in the classroom and also to bring their unique perspectives to Chicago.
Obama Foundation Scholars Program Eligibility.
We’re seeking emerging leaders from around the world who meet the following criteria:
- Significant work experience (typically 3-5 years or more) and professional accomplishments with a clear trajectory of increasing impact.
- Demonstrated record of community service or working for the public good, either through a full-time professional role or significant engagement outside of primary employment.
- Possess a clear focus on a global challenge or policy issue.
- A clear commitment to return to and reinvest your new skills in your community after the program concludes.
Obama Foundation Scholars Program Key Dates.
- Priority Deadline for applications – November 1, 2018
- Secondary Deadline for applications – January 1, 2019
- Notifications of admission and scholarship decisions to be released – March 2019
- Deadline for candidates to accept their admission – Spring 2019
- Arrive in Chicago for the Obama Foundation Scholars Program Orientation – August 2019
- Obama Foundation Leadership Week (for scholarship recipients) – Late Summer 2019
- Harris Orientation and Welcome Week – September 2019
- Classes begin Tuesday, October 1, 2019
How to Apply for Obama Foundation Scholars Program.
Interested candidates who meet the criteria listed above should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
Deadline: 1st January 2019