University of Port-Harcourt

200 level student of UNIPORT dies after UPTH ‘staff neglected her for 6 hours’

Students of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) have accused the medical staff of the institution’s Teaching Hospital (UPTH) of causing the death of their colleague who passed away on Sunday.

The accusation comes a day after a 200 level student of Theatre Art, identified as Miss Kel, slumped and was rushed to the hospital where she later died.

University of Port-Harcourt Teaching Hospital UPTH

University of Port-Harcourt Teaching Hospital UPTH

On Monday morning, the angry students first barricaded the East-West road then took over UPTH, chased away all the doctors and nurses and locked up the hospital gate.

A final year student of the same department as the deceased, Judith Oyila, led the protesters.

According to her, Kel passed away on Sunday night after medical staff had left her unattended to from 6 a.m to 12 noon over inadequate facilities.

“She died because of neglect by the doctors and nurses in that hospital,” Oyila said.

“How could it be that a student slumped and students rushed her to UPTH but the doctors left her for over six hours without treatment and the poor girl died?

“We want the world to hear the injustice that we are facing here even in the hands of the doctors in our institution’s hospital.

“The doctors abandoned her without treatment.”

She argued that the doctors’ claim of inadequate facilities cannot stand because students pay for health services.

“They gave excuses not worth it; saying there was no bed to admit her, no fuel, and no ambulance, until she died.

“The Doctors forgot that we pay for health.

“The School Management collects medical fees from students and the hospital staff do not care about the health of the students of the institution.”

There has been no official statement from the management of the institution.

Kel’s death comes only three months after the tragic death of a 200 level student of the University of Ibadan (UI, Mayowa Alaran, in similar circumstances.

Alaran had slumped during a football match and was rushed to the University Health Services where doctors requested for the student’s clinic card and matric number instead of instantly attending to him.

He died shortly after.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

To Top