Yes you love taking pictures and you have made that decision to start a photography business as a student, but the big question now is how do you make money from photography as a student?
you can take photos for fun but the moment you call it a business you have to start thinking of ways or how to make cool cash from it and trust me people have made millions of dollars, yes I repeat millions of dollars through this means.
Before we continue let us look at top 3 richest photographers ( Source: insidermonkey )
- Lynsey Addario
Focused on women’s role in society, human rights, and other conflicts, Lynsey Addario has made a big name for herself in the photography industry. This American photojournalist has taken pictures for The New York Times, Time, Newsweek, and other renowned publications. She has covered stories in several conflicts around the world, including Afghanistan under Taliban control, Haiti, Congo, and Iraq.
- Gilles Bensimon
One of the richest photographers in the world, Gilles Bensimon has devoted his camera to fashion. This French photographer is also the former International Creative Director of Elle magazine and has shot internationally renowned models including Tyra Banks, Cindy Crawford, Elle Macpherson, and Naomi Campbell.
- Morgan Norman
Morgan Norman has shot for several magazines, advertising agencies, and even record labels. This artistic fashion photographer has a one-of-a-kind style that the fashion industry appreciates greatly.
In Nigeria we have Big names and people who have made millions too, people like:
- Adeola Olagunju
- George Osodi
- Kelechi Amadi-Obi
Back to topic as a Student how can I make money from this profession.
- Now you can make money buying taking photos at Wedding Events: these days you don’t have to be contracted for you to take the photos just pick your camera on a free Saturday go to a wedding reception and take random picture of people and show them if they like it they will ask you to print and pay you.
- On contracts (Will depend on how you project yourself) you can be called to shoot/capture Families, Babies, Sports Events, School Portraits, etc. Key thing try to be different from others, this is where your editing software comes to work master and learn how to edit photos.
- This is the Good Part you can make money from photography by shooting things! yes things like real landscape, Travel, Pets, Foods, Products, culture, travel etc. now how do one make money from this? You can sell your photos online through stock photo sites if your photo is good enough big companies or individuals can pay top dollar for it.
- By Teaching Photography: now since you are in the business you can offer to teach someone else the business and they pay you for your lessons.
- By selling Photo prints: How it works: SNAP – PRINT – FRAME – SELL. You can frame photos and sell (you cannot sell people’s picture without their permission so best option is snap things).
Confused? Need advice? Contact us now we will be happy to help.